Today is my 14th wedding anniversary. My husband and I have been together 18 years. Boy how time has flown. As I sit here today typing this blog post I’m still thinking of the answer to the question — What is Love? Well let me tell you, I’ve got some ideas of what it is not. I’m sure you do too. I also know that since being married we have both grown. And speaking for myself, I think I’ve grown for the better. In the name of love we can stretch ourselves more than we ever could have imagined. Unfortunately, it seems that growing is often accompanied by pain. Think of it something like the labor pains of birth. You are giving birth to something new — and you will survive. I was watching Oprah one day when she was interviewing Susan Sarandon. Susan said something like, “a crisis is just a way to get you to another paradigm.” Sometimes we hold on so tightly to the way things were, to beliefs that no longer serve us, to our views of the way things “should” be, to being rigid an unchanging — which only causes pain to ourselves and others. Marriage isn’t all “for better.” We lose our naievete. You will experience times that feel like the “for worse” part of the vows. But hang in there, pray, and work on yourself (I know, we all think we are near perfect just the way we are), as well as your relationship — and things will get better. Love is action. Happy Valentine’s Day! P.S. If you want to see a good movie about marriage I recommend “Fireproof.” You can check it out free on http://www.ovguide.com.
- 2,352,871 visits
- Thank you and Thanksgiving song
- What’s in it for You? What’s in it for me (WIIFM)?
- Voting for President
- What Is Life Reflecting Back To You?
- Avoiding ‘Pitfall Friends’ and Setting Up Boundaries
- Invite Simplicity Into Your Life and Your Relationship
- Three Choices Happy People Make
- For Women: The Dating Game
- Christmas humor: Have We Become Too Sensitive?
- Life Lessons from a Rescue Dog
- Thanksgiving humor and the Benefits of Laughter
- Are You in the Misery Business?
- Life Is Not Always Easy
- 20+ Important Life Lessons You Learn as a Poor Student
- Breaking Up is Hard to Do
- Pearls of Wisdom
- Mother’s Day Songs and Life Lessons
- Cinco de Mayo
- Life Is Like a Train Ride
- Quotes on Love
- What was I Thinking?
- Let’s connect on Facebook
TagsAging Anger Books Business Careers Change Choices Christmas Cinco de Mayo Cinco de Mayo history Cinco de Mayo trivia Communication Dating Determination Etiquette Facebook Facebook humor Family Fear Forgive Forgiveness Friends Gift giving Gifts Goals Goal Setting Growing Happiness Happiness Quotes Health Home-based business Home Business How-to Humor Inspiration instruction manuals for life instructions Jobs Joke lessons Life Life Choices Life is Life Lessons Life quotes Love Manners Marriage Mother's Day Mother's Day Quotes Motivation Movies Music Pain Perseverance Personal Personal Development Poetry Priorities Quotes Random Relationships Self-help Self-improvement Shopping Spirituality Success Television Thanksgiving Thinking Thoughts Valentine's Day videos Work at Home Work from Home
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK!